from Past and Present of Mahaska County, Iowa by Manoah Hedge The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1906
H. H. Glasscock, living on section 3, Spring Creek township, gives his attention to general farming and stock-raising, his landed possessions embracing nearly three hundred acres, upon which are four sets of good farm buildings and other modern improvements. He has lived in the county since 1877, being a young man of twenty years when he arrived here. His birth occurred in Union county, Ohio, January 7, 1857. His father, Joseph Glasscock, was born in Virginia and was there reared. He was twice married, the first time in Virginia and the second time in Ohio, on which occasion he wedded Shady Stratton, a native of the Buckeye state. For a number of years Mr. Glasscock continued farming in Ohio, but in the fall of 1867 removed to Missouri and located in Johnson county, where he carried on farming for ten years. He then sold out there and removed to Mahaska county, settling in Oskaloosa where he was engaged in the livery business for a short time. Later he located on a farm north of town, and he died in this county on the 13th of February, 1892. His wife passed away in December, 1886. H. H. Glasscock was largely reared in Johnson county, Missouri, and is practically a self-educated as well as a self-made man. He was engaged in herding sheep for his father in Johnson county, and after coming to Iowa he worked for one year by the month, while later he rented land and engaged in farming on his own account. Then, wishing a companion and helpmate for life's journey, he was married in Oskaloosa on the 10th of April, 1879, to Miss Delpha A. Hoover, who was born and reared here and was a daughter of James Hoover, one of the early settlers of Mahaska county from Indiana. In the fall after their marriage the young couple removed to the farm whereon they now reside. Only a small part of the place had been cleared, while a little frame building had been erected. Mr. Glasseock began to further clear and develop the place, and his labors soon wrought considerable transformation in its appearance. He at first had only fifty acres of land. This he fenced and cleared, placing the fields under the plow and as he prospered in his undertakings he purchased more land from time to time. He has since rebuilt and remodeled the house, has also put up two good barns, has planted an orchard, has divided the place into fields of convenient size by kept fences, has a windmill for pumping water and has other modern equipments. In fact, his is a well improved property, indicating the progressive yet practical spirit of the owner who in connection with the tilling of the soil also raises and feeds stock, fattening a carload of cattle and also a load of hogs annually for the market. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Glasscock has been born one child, Maud, now the wife of D. M. Rodgers, a substantial farmer of Spring Creek township, by whom she has two children, Bernice Josephine and Mary Rodgers. Politically Mr. Glasscock has been a lifelong republican, but has never been an aspirant for office, preferring to concentrate his energies upon his business affairs. He is, however, interested in seeing good men in office, and he is a believer in good schools and teachers. He has served on the school board for ten years, and the cause of education finds in him a warm friend. His wife was reared in the Friends church and, like her husband, is highly esteemed by all who know her. Mr. Glasscock has worked earnestly and persistently year after year in his efforts to establish a home and farm and his work has been rewarded in the acquirement of a gratifying competence.
Past and Present of Mahaska County, Iowa
Mahaska County, Iowa Genealogy