from Past and Present of Mahaska County, Iowa by Manoah Hedge The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1906
ELWOOD HATCHER, b. 19Aug1833, d. 1922 Elwood Hatcher is now living a retired life in New Sharon, but for many years was closely identified with agricultural interests and at one time was the owner of six hundred and fifty acres of very valuable land in this county. He was born in Portage county, Ohio, August 19, 1833, and is a son of Joshua and Ann Eliza (Rosseter) Hatcher, the former born in Columbiana county, Ohio, in 1809, and the latter in the state of New York in 1811. The father was always a farmer by occupation and owned a tract of land in the Buckeye state but, believing that he might enjoy still better business opportunities west of the Mississippi, he came to Iowa in 1856, locating in Mahaska county near Indianapolis, where he purchased a farm of three hundred acres. He afterward bought more land from time to time and became one of the extensive property owners of this part of the county and in his farming operations was very successful. He possessed keen insight into business affairs and his unfaltering diligence proved an excellent foundation upon which to rear the superstructure of prosperity. He continued to make his home in Mahaska county up to the time of his death, which occurred near Indianapolis when he was seventy- five years of age. His widow reached the very venerable age of ninety-one years, passing away in Whatcheer, Iowa. They were both devoted and worthy members of the Christian church and Mr. Hatcher was an earnest republican although never an office seeker. In their family were six children, who in order of birth are as follows: Elwood, of this review; Elizabeth, the widow of William C. Beans, a resident of Mahaska county; Mary D., the deceased wife of Albert Lewis, also of this county; Emeline, who died in Ohio at the age of fifteen years; Erastus, who is living at Whatcheer, Iowa; and Washington, who resides at Norton, Kansas. Elwood Hatcher spent his youth in his parents' home, remaining with them until twenty-one years of age, and his early education was acquired in the common schools and was supplemented by one-term's study in Hiram College. In the spring of 1856 he left Ohio and made his way to Hancock county, Illinois, where for a year he lived upon a farm near Nauvoo, belonging to his uncle. On October 1, 1856 he arrived in Mahaska county, where he invested his capital in one hundred and twenty acres of land, of which about twenty-five acres had been broken. Only slight improvements had been made thereon. There was a hewed log house and a prairie stable, while otherwise the entire farm was in its primitive condition. Mr. Hatcher at once began to clear and cultivate his land and resided thereon until about fifteen years ago, when he retired from active business life and removed to New Sharon. He had prospered in his farming operations and in connection with the tilling of the soil bought, fed and shipped stock, which branch of his business he found to be a very profitable source of income. As his capital increased he invested more and more largely in real estate and at one time owned six hundred and fifty acres of farming land. He disposed of a part of this and sold the remainder to other parties. Now with a very desirable competence to supply him with the comforts and some of the luxuries of life he is living in well earned ease and comfort in a beautiful home in New Sharon, whiqh he purchased on his removal to this village. He has rebuilt and added to the place and it is now a very attractive, commodious and comfortable residence. Before leaving Ohio Mr. Hatcher was married on the 11th of March, 1855, to Miss Clara E. Lewis, who was born in Trumbull county, that state, and who died in Mahaska county, Iowa, January 17, 1890, at the age of fifty-four years, her death being deeply regretted by many friends as well as her immediate family, for she possessed excellent qualities of heart and mind. She had became the mother of eight children, of whom seven are now living, one having died in infancy. Those who still survive are: Emma, a widow, residing in Norton, Kansas; Charles E., who is living on a farm near Whatcheer, Iowa; Albert L., who resides upon a part of the old homestead; Ida M., the wife of James T. Simpson, who is living on the old Hatcher farm; Cora A., the wife of Eria Hawley, a resident of Horton, Kansas; and Ed, who follows farming in Union township, this county. After losing his first wife Mr. Hatcher was married June 6, 1891, to Mrs. J. K. Smith, nee Ferrell, a daughter of Fred Ferrell, who came to this county in 1857. Mr. Hatcher has been a lifelong republican and although he has never aspired to office he served as trustee of his township for several years, being called to the position by his fellow townsmen who recognized his capability and fidelity. He was a member of the school board of Pleasant Grove township, was president of the Prairie Farmers Mutual Insurance Company, and president of the Whatcheer Fair Association for four years, taking an active and helpful interest in this work, which has been a stimulus to agricultural development. He belongs to the Christian church and is a very pleasant, genial gentleman and has manifested a most public-spirited interest in the general welfare and has ever been willing to support any cause for the general good.
Past and Present of Mahaska County, Iowa
Mahaska County, Iowa Genealogy