from Past and Present of Mahaska County, Iowa by Manoah Hedge The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1906
James Sumner Hayes, secretary of the wholesale and retail hardware concern of Oskaloosa, conducted under the style of the Huber & Katbach Company, is a native son of Mahaska county, his birth having occurred here in 1864. His father, James Hayes, was born in McDonough county, Illinois, and is now living at the age of sixty-seven years. He came to Iowa in 1856 with his parents, Nathaniel and Priscilla Hayes, the family home being established at Eddyville, Wapello county. The grandfather, Nathaniel Hayes and two of his sons, Isaac and Henry, were soldiers of the Civil war. James Hayes was a youth of eighteen years when he came to Iowa. Upon arriving at the age of manhood he located in Jefferson township, Mahaska county, where he remained until 1880, when he removed to Scott township. There he resided for six years. Later he and his son J. S. purchased land in Jefferson township, where they both resided until 1888, the father then being called to serve the county as steward of the poor farm, which position he filled acceptably for three years. He then bought a farm adjoining the old town of Rochester, which he still owns. He retired, however, and removed to Oskaloosa in 1900 and has since made his home in the city, enjoying a well earned rest in the midst of the comforts that have been secured by him as the result of the years of his former activity and enterprise. Fraternally he is a Mason and his political views are in accord with republican prindples. He married Miss Nancy Margaret Whittinger, who was born near Indianapolis, Indiana, and died in 1901, at the age of sixty years. They had five children: William H., now deceased; James Sumner; Frank and Lily, who have passed away; and Harry W., who is traveling agent for the Huber & Kalbach Company of Oskaloosa. In the usual manner of farm lads J. S. Hayes was reared and in the country schools acquired his education. He taught school for five years and in 1890, leaving the farm, he pursued a business course in the Oskaloosa Business College. In 1891 he entered the wholesale and retail hardware house of the Huber & Kalbach Company as stenographer and bookkeeper and has since been associated with this concern. He was made treasurer of the company in January, 1903, and acted in that capacity until January, 1904, when he was chosen secretary, which is his present connection with the house. In 1887 Mr. Hayes was married to Miss Mary M. De Long, who was born in White Oak township, Mahaska county, in 1866, and is a daughter of George and Julia (De Witt) De Long, the father a farmer of Scott township. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Hayes have been born four children but the eldest died in infancy and William D. died in 1893, at the age of eighteen months. The others are Charles S., born in 1895; and Louis F., in 1904. Mrs. Hayes is a member of the Congregational church and Mr. Hayes is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity. His study of the political questions and issues of the day has led him to give his support to the republican party but he is not an aspirant for office, preferring to concentrate his efforts upon his business affairs and his labors are directed along lines of modern commercial progress and are proving an element in the successful conduct of the interests of the company of which he is now secretary.
Past and Present of Mahaska County, Iowa
Mahaska County, Iowa Genealogy