William A. MOORE, b. 1854
The farming interests of White Oak township find a worthy representative in William A. Moore, living on section 17. Activity and thrift are crowning points in his business career and his well directed efforts have made him the owner of a valuable farm of one hundred and sixty-five acres, which in its neat and well kept appearance indicates his careful supervision and practical methods. More than a half century has passed since he came to the county, for the year of his arrival was 1855. He was born in Boone county, Indiana, November 16, 1854, a son of Wilson F. Moore, a native of Kentucky, who when a youth was taken by his parents to Indiana. There he was reared, assisting his father in clearing and improving a timber farm. He was educated in the common schools and received practical training in all departments of agricultural labor. His parents were Laban and Nancy Moore, who also came to Iowa and occupied a farm near Cedar.
Mrs. Nancy Moore died April 1, 1906, at the very venerable age of ninety-six years.
Wilson Moore was married in Indiana to Miss Fannie Perkins, a native of that state and a daughter of Robert Perkins, who went to Indiana from Kentucky when a young man. There he owned and improved a farm and five years after his marriage he came to Iowa. There were eight children born of this union, all of whom reached maturity. Wilson Moore purchased eighty acres of land upon his arrival in this state, built a dwelling thereon and began to clear and cultivate his farm. As he prospered in his undertakings he invested his capital in more land, from time to time, until he became the owner of a good farm property, but he now lives in Rose Hill. In 1886 he lost his first wife, since which time he has married again and now maintains his residence in the village.
William A. Moore was reared upon the old home farm which he assisted his father to clear and improve, giving him the benefit of his services until he was twenty-one years of age. He had only common-school advantages, but in the school of experience has learned many valuable lessons that have made him a successful business man. He was married December 30, 1876, to Miss Jennie Smock, a native of Wapello county, Iowa, and a daughter of Archibald Smock, who was born in Indiana, whence he came to Iowa in early manhood, settling in Wapello county. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. William Moore located on the home farm but lived in a house separate from the father's home. He then assisted his father in carrying on the work of the fields, and for five years rented land from his father, after which he purchased forty acres of the tract. He later bought more land from time to time as his financial resources permitted until he now has a valuable farm of one hundred and sixty-five acres. The soil is rich and productive and returns good crops, so that he annually harvests good crops of corn, wheat and other grains. In 1904 he built an attractive two-story residence, and he has also built a good barn and outbuildings and has the place well fenced. It is one of the most attractive farms in White Oak township,
equipped with all modern accessories and
improvements. Mr. Moore raises good grades of
stock, principally Durham cattle. He has also
raised a good many mules and feeds both cattle
and hogs. I
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Moore have been born
four children, all of whom are yet living.
Hattie, the eldest, is a teacher in the schools of
Pleasant Grove. She has devoted five years to
this work and is very capable and successful.
William W., living at home, has, however,
engaged in farming on his own account for the
last three years. Orin E., also at home, assists in
operating the farm. Eva Pearl is yet under the
parental roof. Mr. and Mrs. Moore attend the
Union church at White Oak, but both are members
of the Methodist Episcopal church. He
belongs to the Masonic fraternity and is a Mason
of Rose Hill lodge, while his wife is
connected with the Eastern Star. His political
allegiance is given to the democracy, and he
never falters in his support of the party. He
has served as township constable for sixteen
years, justice of the peace for two terms and
school director for twenty-five years, and every
movement for the benefit and welfare of the
county receives his endorsement. He is
active and energetic in business, and at all times
thoroughly reliable and the qualities of of his man
hood are such as in every land and clime awakes
regard and respect.
from Past and Present of Mahaska County, Iowa by Manoah Hedge
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1906
Past and Present of Mahaska County, Iowa
Mahaska County, Iowa Genealogy