biography from Portrait & Biographical Album of Mahaska Co., Iowa, 1887
HON. THOMAS R. GILMORE, proprietor of 1,036 acres of valuable land in Harrison Township, resides on section 36, where he is extensively engaged in farming and stockraising. He was born in Ohio, April 30, 1825, being a son of Francis and Sarah (McBride) Gilmore, both natives of County Cavin, Ireland. Their parents came to America while they were children, and settled in Ohio while it was yet a wilderness, and the greater portion of it occupied by Indians. They were united in marriage near Cadiz, Ohio, Dec. 20, 1811, and of the union there were born seven children, as follows: William (deceased), Margaret, John, Mary A. (deceased), Sarah, Thomas R. and Samuel. The mother of our subject died in 1840, and her husband, Francis Gilmore, in 1846. Thomas H. Gilmore, accompanied by his brother Samuel, emigrated from Ohio to this county in 1853, where both have since made their home. The greater part of the farm of our subject is in a high state of cultivation. The buildings and other improvements are the finest in all that section of the county, and it may be truthfully said that, taking this farm as a whole, it has no superior in this county. The marriage of Thomas R. Gilmore and Miss Catherine Milligan, a native of Tuscarawa County, Ohio, was celebrated on the 7th of November, 1854, and after a brief interval of happy married life, the young wife died a few months later, on June 7, 1855. Mr. Gilmore was the second time married, May 12, 1860, to Miss Ellen Steele, a native of Ireland, and of this union there were born four children: Clara E., now the wife of James T. Koger; William R.; Jessie D., the wife of R. J. Woody, and, Charles V: The latter died Dec. 20, 1884. The mother of these children died Sept. 1, 1873. On the 29th of December, 1875, our subject was married to his present wife, formerly Francenia E. Wilson, and to them have been born two children - Harry W. and Mabel C. Mr. Gilmore is a man of liberal education, possessing broad and intelligent views upon the leading questions of public interest. At the early age of fifteen years he began a classical course of study at New Athens, Ohio, but afterward changed to Jefferson College, whence he graduated in 1846 with the honors of his class. After graduation he spent a few months teaching, and then engaged in farming md stock-raising, which he has since followed. Of the latter branch of business he makes a specialty, raising and shipping large numbers of cattle and horses annually. Politically Mr. Gilmore is a Republican, and though not an office seeker, has been twice honored by the suffrage of his fellow-citizens. In 1874, by reason of the removal from the State and resignation of Hon. James A. Young, Mr. Gilmore was elected Senator to fill the vacancy thus occasioned, and in the year 1875 was re-elected, and served a full term of four years in the General Assembly of Iowa, filling this honorable position in a creditable manner. Both himself and wife are influential members of the United Presbyterian Church.
Portrait & Biographical Album of Mahaska Co., Iowa, 1887
Mahaska County, Iowa Genealogy