biography from Portrait & Biographical Album of Mahaska Co., Iowa, 1887
Dr. M. L. JACKSON, surgeon dentist, is not, only the oldest practicing dentist of Oskaloosa, but of Mahaska County. He was the third of a family of seven chil- dren, and was born in Branchville, S. C., Aug. 24, 1829. His parents, Solomon and Elizabeth (Over- ton) Jackson, were both natives of North Carolina; the former died at Knoxville, Iowa, in 1851, and the latter at Oskaloosa in 1878. When the Doctor was but seven years of age the family moved to Concord, Ill., but subsequently located in Lee County, Iowa. The subject of this sketch remained with his par- ents until twenty years of age, when he went to Macomb, Ill., and entered the office of Dr. J. B. Kyle to study medicine. While at Macomb he also read medicine in the office of Dr. J. H. Bacon, who was for many years one of the leading business and professional men of Ft. Madison, Iowa. Con- cluding to make dentistry his regular profession, he went to St. Louis, Mo., where he studied, and began practice at Keokuk, Iowa, in 1852. In 1854 he came to Oskaloosa, where he has continued to reside, engaged in the active practice of his profes- sion, for almost a third of a century. Few men are more widely known than the Doc- tor. In his profession he stands high, his ability being recognized, not only by his friends and neighbors, but by the profession as well. In the State Dental Society he served two terms as Vice President and one as President. As a business man and citizen he has ever had at heart the best interests of his adopted city and State, devoting much of his time to the public good. When the State Bank of Iowa at Oskaloosa was organized, he was elected one of its Directors, and served as such during the active period of its existence. He was also instrumental in the organization of the First National Bank of Oskaloosa, and for five years served as one of its Directors. For more than thirty years the Doctor has been a member of the Masonic fraternity, at present being a member of Triluminar Lodge No. 18, A. F. & A. M., Hiram Chapter No. 6, R. A. M., and Commandery No. 6, K. T. The fraternity has in him a strong advo- cate, and he has done much to build it up in this section of the country. In the organization of the Iowa Masonic Benevolent Society he actively par- ticipated, and for several years he was one of its Directors. On the 1st day of November, 1855, Dr. Jackson was united in marriage with Miss Joan Phillips, a native of Illinois. They have five childrenÄ Harry, Dwight, Gertrude, Lizzie and Willie. Harry and Gertrude are married, the latter living in Des Moines. Dr. and Mrs. Jackson are members of the Presbyterian Church of Oskaloosa.
Portrait & Biographical Album of Mahaska Co., Iowa, 1887
Mahaska County, Iowa Genealogy