biography from Portrait & Biographical Album of Mahaska Co., Iowa, 1887
GEORGE W. LAFFERTY, senior partner of the law firm of Lafferty & Morgan, Oskaloosa, and a resident of Mahaska County since July 6, 1864, was horn in Mercer County, Pa., April 9, 1840, and is the son of William and Sarah A. Lafferty. His parents were both natives of Pennsylvania, in which State his father died in 1854; his mother departed this life at Oskaloosa. Mr. Lafferty was educated at Westminster College, in Lawrence County, Pa., and possesses very liberal acquirements. lIe enlisted in April, 1861, as a member of the Mercer Rifles, which organization subsequently became a part of the Pennsylvania Reserve Corps. His first term of service was for ninety days. In July, 1861, he re-enlisted in the service for three years, and served until May 31, 1864, when he received an honorable discharge. During his enlistment he participated in the second battle of Bull Run, at Chancellorsville, Fredericksburg, the battle of the Wilderness, and many other engagements in which his company and regiment took part. He served continuously in the Army of the Potomac, and it is his proud boast that he was always ready for duty, was never in the hospital, and never rode in an ambulance. After his return from the army Mr. Lafferty remained only a short time at his old home and then came to this city. Here he entered the law office of Hon. John R. Needham, ex-Lieutenant Governor of Iowa, read law for a time, and was admitted to the bar in October, 1865. Shortly after his admission he formed a partnership with his preceptor, which continued until the death of Mr. Needham, July 8, 1868. On the 1st of August of that year, a partnership was formed with Hon. J. K. Johnson, which association continued until his partner was chosen Judge of the District Court of this judicial district, Jan. 1, 1883. The 1st of March following, he formed a partnership with William H. Needham, son of his former partner. Mr. Needham was a young man of very fine ability, a thorough student, and gave excellent promise of high rank in the near future in his profession. He was but fairly established in practice when he was taken ill, and died Nov. 14, 1884, having been sick only a few days. On the 24th of the same month, Mr. Lafferty formed the existing partnership with Mr. George C. Morgan. The subject of this sketch is an ardent Republican, and has taken an active part in many campaigns in support of his party's nominations. He was elected District Attorney of this judicial district in the fall of 1874, entered upon the duties of the office Jan. 1, 1875, and served until Jan. 1, 1879. In 1866 Mr. Lafferty acted as Deputy United States Collector of Internal Revenue for this county. He was married in Oskaloosa, in the fall of 1865, to Miss Sina A. Fisher, a daughter of Dr. Isaac Fisher, a prominent physician of this city. Three children were born of this marriage, two sons and a daughter, only one of whom is living, George Claude, born Jan. 4, 1881. Mrs. Lafferty died in July, 1886. Mr. Lafferty has been connected with the Congregational Church for many years, is a member of Phil Rearney Post, G. A. R., and is a Knight Templar Mason, and also a member of Commandery No. 6, of this city. His office, situated immediately over the Oskaloosa National Bank, is an elegant suite of rooms, in which may be found one of the finest law libraries in the State. For nearly twenty-two years he has been a member of the Oskaloosa bar, and his career as an attorney has been a most successful one. He is possessed of a high order of legal ability, is yet a close student, an indefatigable worker, and makes the interest of a client his own. As District Attorney, during his term of service, he achieved an enviable reputation as public prosecutor, and was one among the most successful of those engaged in that particular business in the state.
Portrait & Biographical Album of Mahaska Co., Iowa, 1887
Mahaska County, Iowa Genealogy