biography from Portrait & Biographical Album of Mahaska Co., Iowa, 1887
CAUTION: MY PHOTOCOPY OF THIS WASN'T THE BEST SO TRIED TO PUT "?" IN WHERE I WASN'T SURE. HOPE TO GET A GOOD COPY WHEN POSSIBLE
J. B. McCURDY, of the firm of J. B. McCurdy Co., wholesale and retail furniture and Oskaloosa, is a native of Licking County, Ohio, where he was born Aug. 4, 1843. He is the son of Jacob and Sarah (Doughty) McCurdy, who were natives of Pennsylvania but emigrated to Ohio at an early day. They were parents of two children, who have grown to manhood. H. H., a merchant of Franklin County, Ohio, and the subject of this sketch. Mr. and Mrs. McCurdy were members in good standing in the Methodist Episcopal Church., Mrs. McCurdy died in 1847, and Mr. McCurdy in 184?, leaving young McCurdy to the care of friends, ? whom he was raised. W. H. Barrickman was his friend during his boyhood days, caring for him as he would for a child of his own. With him he came to Iowa in 1854, settling in Cedar County, where he remained a short time. In 1855 Mr. McCurdy located in Poweshiek County, Iowa, and at the age of fourteen years was employed as clerk in the post-office at Montezuma for two and a half years. He spent one year in school at that place, and in 1861 came to Oskaloosa. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Co. C, 28? Iowa Vol. Inf., under command of Capt. J. W.? Carr, of Montezuma, remaining with his command until the following April; he was on the Whi? River expedition. His health failing, he was ??? April, 1868, sent to St. Louis. Mo., and the following July was transferred to the Veteran Reserve Corps. In 1863 that corps was sent to Indianapolis Ind., where they were in charge of the rebel prisoners confined at Camp Morton. Our subject was color-bearer and had charge of the roll-call of 4?? prisoners. Mr. McCurdy was discharged July 6, 1865, at the close of the war, when he returned to Oskaloosa and attended one term in school. He attended the Commercial College at Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, and graduated there. In 1866, in company with F. ? Hamilton, he purchased the interest of Benjamin Roop, in the old mill in the west part of the city to which they added machinery for the manufacturing of woolen goods. He continued in this business until 1868, when he sold out and formed a partnership in the hardware business, under the firm name of P. A. Watts & Co., which continued until 187? when he purchased the interest of Nelson & Nichols, in the furniture and undertaking business, and formed the firm of J. H. McCurdy & Co., which has continued successfully until the present time. In 1881 they built their present building, which is of brick, 70x20 feet, consisting of three stories and basement, and in 1884, finding their space not ample enough to accommodate their growing trade, built an addition 50x20 feet, three stories and basement, and the entire building, one of the largest in the city, is occupied by them in their business. J. B. McCurdy was married, Sept. 18, 1872, to Miss Cella Moore, of Montezuma, Iowa, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henderson Moore, of Poweshiek County, who were natives of Ohio. By this marriage there were three children: Lena A., born July 10, 1875; Ralph B., May 25, 1877, aud Helen M., May 2, 1886. Mr. and Mrs. McCurdy are prominent and acceptable members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of Phil Kearney Post No. 40, G. A. R., also of the A. 0. U. W. and Iowa Legion of Honor. Mr. McCurdy is a man, who, by suavity in manner, and fair and honorable dealing with his patrons, has built up a large and profitable business in his line, and enjoys in a large degree the respect and confidence of the people among whom he has cast his lot. Politically he is a Republican, and for several years has filled acceptably the office of Township Trustee.
Portrait & Biographical Album of Mahaska Co., Iowa, 1887
Mahaska County, Iowa Genealogy